About Vay

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Vay has created 37 blog entries.

Freed PhD Career Transitions – Neuroscience PhD to Software Engineer

Tim Bellay, Ph.D. Software & Prototype Engineer @ Mile IQ A cross country move.  Learning entirely new skillsets.  Going from neuroscience benchwork to app prototyping - Tim found an exciting new career in the tech world after completing his PhD in neuroscience. Starting the PhD Tim started out on his research journey with the goal of

PhDs’ Greatest Weakness: Not Networking

Ah, networking for PhDs.  One of those love-to-hate-it topics. When you were attending a conference, how much time did you spend talking to people who approached you? How much talking to new people that you initiated conversations with? For the average person from academia, we spend about 90% of the time talking to old friends,

Calling Upon “Science” to Justify Bias is An Old, Ongoing Story…including in Science itself.

The Google gender bias debate over the value of inclusion and diversity initiatives reminds me very much of the conversations I had when interviewing professors around the country several years ago about the status of women faculty in the US, and the biases that women have faced entering the grind of tenure track employment. Like in

2017-08-09T18:33:11+00:00 By |Categories: PhDs in the Real World|0 Comments

Breaking Up with Academia

It takes time to change your mindset. If you're a PhD grad student or postdoc, and this is the first time you're really thinking hard about a future that doesn’t involve an academic career, you're not going to rewrite your dreams tomorrow. You won’t get past all of your concerns in a week. It was probably

How do scientists find internships (or volunteer or freelance gigs)?

You go out and look for them. It sounds a bit facetious, but I’m not kidding. If we think about how most people found the opportunities they got, it's usually not by sitting in their labs or research offices 80% of their lives, then going home and surfing Facebook the remaining 20% of their time,

2017-08-08T16:51:31+00:00 By |Categories: AMA|Tags: |1 Comment

What’s the timeline for shifting from academia to industry?

What should you be thinking about, depending on what stage of your research training that you're in?  Let's take a look! Best Case Scenario Early in your PhD career, yrs 2–4 Get to know, or explore some organizations or groups doing something you find interesting (non research related) and contribute in a tangible way.  If

Eating Scientific Impact – The Food Lab

  Now I don’t know about you, but I LOVE food! And when it comes to food, I’m always thinking about: The chemistry of heating and cooling carbohydrates and fats and proteins. The engineering principles behind the crunch and snap of cellular walls in my fresh veggies. The fluid dynamics of my egg ooze, or

Should I get a PhD if I’m Not Sure I Want an Academic Job?

Here's the thing: a degree is not a career. We get that rude awakening at different stages of our scientific training, but that no matter when you realize this, it can come as something of a shock. You mean my PhD doesn't automatically get me in the running for a great career?  In fact, it

2018-03-09T17:27:18+00:00 By |Categories: AMA|Tags: , , , |0 Comments

Why do some people hate their PhD?

The disappointment or avoidance of talking about one's graduate research experience can be disheartening for advocates of science, or budding scientists.  Why are some people so unhappy about their decision to do high-level scientific research? If we examine the reasons, it should not seem like a mystery: The people. Like any job, your experience in a

2018-03-09T17:25:49+00:00 By |Categories: AMA|Tags: , , , |0 Comments

How much time should I spend on marketable skills, networking, and writing job applications?

This is a great question. The job hunt is, for the average PhD, as much of a mini marathon as your PhD was, so you want to prepare and plan well: Developing marketable skills (45%) - this doesn't just have to be learning a hard skill, though this is of course valuable. This can also be

2017-08-08T16:52:16+00:00 By |Categories: AMA|Tags: , , , |0 Comments